I found this story, so far, to be very easy to read. The flow of the story keeps the reader interested and holds your attention. I do feel that the transition of Sophie leaving her aunt and moving to New York to be with her mother seemed rather abrupt. I thought there would be more about her like with her aunt. However, I do think that there was a lot of information given in those beginning chapters. For instance you know from early on, page 10, that her aunt is hiding something from her. This tells a lot about Sophie's relationship with her aunt that she can sense that something is wrong. And then when there is mention about a package that was received that her aunt did not share with Sophie. When Madame Augustin accidently let's it slip that "someone" is going to New York Sophie's aunt was upset that she did not have a chance to tell Sophie her self.
There also seems to be something else that Sophie's aunt is hiding, her relationship with Monsieur and Atie. Not only did Sophie find a note to her aunt but Atie also made Sophie promise not to tell anyone that "I cry when I watch Donald and his wife getting ready for bed". There is definitely something going on there and will be anxious to continue reading,
I think the relationship between Tante Atie and Donald is very important in understanding Atie's feelings and her deep mothering connection towards Sophie. The opportunity of marriage and having a family of her own was taken away from her, then becuase of her sister leaving for New York she was given that chance to have a child, even if it wasn't her own. When Sophie was taken away from her she was left with no children to look after and no husband to love her, and the only family member in her life was her mother. I think as we continue reading we will see exactly how much Sophie's leaving has affected her life and her purpose.
ReplyDelete