Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Antelope Wife: First Impressions and Thoughts

I found the first half of this book to be very strange and confusing, mixing many story lines and people together. The two stories I found most strange but most interesting was that of Scranton Roy and how he saves Matilda and eventually is able to feed her with his breast milk. This is strange for sure, but believe it or not, I have heard of men breast feeding before by stimulating their mammary glands into producing breast milk. I also found the story narrated by Windigo Dog to be incredibly interesting, I have never read a story narrated by a dog before and it was cool to see the way the human characters lived through the eyes of a dog and what they had to avoid and do to survive among humans, especially being a white dog. It may have said this in the text and I may have overlooked it but I was wondering why being a white dog causes one to be made into soup. I wonder if there is some legend about white dogs and if because they are pure, the humans want to take that good spirit into them or their whiteness signifies something more sinister that the humans wish to destroy before it can cause any real harm. I also was interested in the story about Cally and Deanna, and how Deanna snuck into the car while her father was attempting suicide by poisoning himself with car exhaust. This story seemed to cut off and I am interested to see if they continue it and if Deanna really dies or if she somehow survives. I look forward to reading more of this book and seeing if my questions are answered and how the story progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment