Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Antelope Wife: Twins

I think it is very interesting that in every generation there must be a set of twins names Mary and Josephette (or Zosie) and when they are not named as such something bad happens, as shown in the case of Cally and Deanna. Deanna's death was caused by her father and his suicide attempt that he abandoned, Deanna's death is somewhat of a symbol of her father's stupidity and his wrongness for the family. Cally does not die but is on the brink of death when she becomes extremely ill, where Deanna's death was to teach her father a lesson, I believe Cally's almost death was to teach her mother a lesson. After Deanna died, Rozin barely payed attention to her living daughter and just focused on the dead one, Cally's sickness was to teach Rozin to value the living more than the dead because you can still help a living child whereas you can do nothing for a dead child but mourn their loss. One thing I didn't understand about this part of the book was how Almost Soup said he had taken Cally's spirit into his body to protect her. I wonder what this symbolizes or if this is just a spititual reference to what powers white dogs are capable of in the Native American culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment